As a beginner website creator, I know how much I DON’T know about setting up a website. I knew I could not do my blogging without some direction. I am certain there are other grandparents, retirees, and nearly-retirees that feel the same way. You may not know where to start or where to turn. Well, don’t worry. I am going to tell you in this article, what you need to create a website.
Wikipedia defines a domain name is a label that identifies a network domain: a distinct group of computers under a central administration or authority. In the website world, a domain name identifies everything associated with your website.
You have likely seen domain names on the internet. The most common ones end in .com, .net, and .org.
- com stands for “commercial” and is the most widely used extension.
- .net stands for “network,” and at one time this suffix was used mostly by Internet service providers. Today, there are no restrictions on who can use a .net suffix.
- .org stands for “organization” and is primarily used by nonprofit groups or trade associations. Here, too, the suffix is actually open for anyone to use.
When you start your website, you will need a domain name. Domain names can be purchased or provided for free by your hosting provider. Here are a couple places you can purchase domain names:
- Domain.com sells .com names for $9.99 per year.
- Bluehost.com has .com names for $11.99 per year
- Hostgator.com does .com domains for $12.95 per year
- Namecheap.com has .com domains for $8.88 with a renewal per year at $12.98
- Hover.com sells .com names for $12.99, with a renewal rate at $14.99 rate.
Be sure to research if the price of your domain name includes spam protection, data security, and ownership protection.
A web hosting service allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web. Hosts are companies that provide space on a server owned or leased for use by clients, as well as providing Internet connectivity, typically in a data center. This is according to Wikipedia.
Here are a few hosting sites that you should check into for your website:
- InMotion Web Hosting, $7.26 per month, includes WordPress, Free SSL, plus malware and hack protection.
- Bluehost Web Hosting, $2.95 per month, includes WordPress, Free SSL, free domain name for 1 year, and 24/7 support.
- HostGator Web Hosting, $2.75 per month, includes 1 domain name, unmetered bandwidth, and free SSL.GoDaddy Web Hosting, $1.00 per month, includes free domain with annual plan, 1 website hosting, unmetered band width, 100 GB storage, free MS Office 365 Business, and 1st year of email.
- Wix Web Hosting, $11.00 per month, includes free domain for 1 year, 2 GB bandwidth, 3 GB storage, remove Wix ads, 30 minutes video, and connect your domain.
- Weebly Web Hosting, $35.00 per month, Genesis Framework, 35+ StudioPress Themes, 24/7 chat support, Dev, Stage, Prod Environments, Transferable Sites, PHP 7.2 ready, LargeFS, Global CDN, Page Performance and Automated SSL certificates
Niche or Topic
A niche is basically your subject. It can be a mission statement or a goal. Mostly it’s what you want to blog about. There are literally millions of niches out there that you can choose to talk about. You don’t have to worry about whether it’s popular or not. With 3.2 billion people on the internet, there’s got to be a couple thousand interested in the same things you find appealing.
There are a lot of people who decided to do a website, but don’t know what subject matter they should cover. Here are a couple of ways to figure out what type of niche you want to use:
- Identify your interests and passions. What is the thing you really like to do? What takes up a great part of your day? What issues do you like to talk about? Any of these can be your niche.
- Identify problems you can solve. What issue have you resolved lately? What kitchen gadget have you found invaluable? What do you do when your hot water heater goes out? How do you keep a green lawn? How do you recycle? There are all good niches.
- Research your competition. Google your favorite subjects and see what others are saying about what you are interested in. Perhaps there’s one aspect of your interests that you don’t see anyone covering. That could be your niche.
- Offer a Unique Product or Service. Do you have a product or a program that no one else has? This would be an excellent niche to pursue.
- Offer a Marketable Product or Service. See what everyone else is offering, then find an aspect of the product or service that they don’t seem to be covering. Also a great niche idea.
- Just because someone else is already covering a niche doesn’t mean you have to pick something else. Everyone has a unique perspective on a given subject. People might find your approach different or better than what’s already out there.
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, and you need this for your website. SEO is what directs traffic to your website. It helps Google and other search engines determine if you are an expert in your niche, and helps them decide where to place you on their search pages. Without SEO, you might as well not have a website.
Here are some free SEO tools that can help you optimize your website for good internet traffic:
- Google Keyword Planner, Analytics, Search Console, etc.
- Answer the Public
- Beam Us Up
- Yoast SEO for Everyone
Why go all over to get these things to start your website? Perhaps the best hosting platform for starting an online business, that helps with all the tools you need, is the Wealthy Affiliate program.
With Premium Membership, at $49 per month, you get the following:
Domains: Purchase domain names through Wealthy Affiliate, and you personally own them, not Wealthy Affiliate! Domain names are $13.99 per year, and they belong to you. You get privacy, domain security, email, backup, support, hosting, and an SSL certificate.
- A social media style networking platform
- A SiteContent page where you have templates and goal setting tools for writing your articles.
- A SiteFeedback platform in which you ask for website critique, and also give feedback to your peers.
- A SiteComments configuration, where you can give and receive comments on your website.
- A custom control panel where you can access your profile, training, websites, live chat, help center, and others
- Free Jaaxy keyword search tool.
- Live weekly training events.
- Thousands of hours of training videos, articles, and modules.
- One on One coaching
- A dashboard to help you manage the health of all of your websites: speed, plugins, engagement, content publishing consistency, and more.
- Live weekly training on Internet Marketing
- 1000’s of hours of recorded training
- 1-on-1 coaching
- worry free hosting, including 25 of your own domains, 25 Site-Rubix domains, Instant DNS, hosting speed at Amazon c3 large, website space of 30GB, bandwidth of 500K visitors per month, enterprise security, daily backups, and unlimited email accounts.
- Access to thousands of free images to use on your websites
- 3000+ website templates
- 99.99% average uptime
This is all from the Wealthy Affiliate platform.
Niche or Topic
Wealthy Affiliate has over 200K active users in their community who are ready to help you narrow down a niche topic. You can seek one on one coaching from one of 25 Wealthy Affiliate ambassadors, or any of the designated 200 helpers. They are all there to help you find that perfect niche.
Wealthy Affiliate has a built in keyword search tool, plus your own linked membership to Jaaxy
So Why Go Through All That Research?
For the money, Wealthy Affiliate provides so much more than the other web hosting platforms. You get the basics, and so much more when you purchase a Wealthy Affiliate membership. You get all the tools you need in one, easy to navigate package, plus all the training you would ever need, and a community of like-minded people that are there for you 24/7/365. Why would you go anywhere else for your web hosting, and suffer the brain damage of researching site after site to get just the basic tools you need? Just one membership gets you all you need, at Wealthy Affiliate.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below, and thank you for reading!